Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Black Cat Scraps - Congratulations>> Baby


A very unique card that is minimal in the techniques done and is still very attractive to the eye.
Dry embossing on vellum is a very stand out technique and is simple to do, creating texture dimension and color variation. It can also be difficult to make the folded card base be vellum without having everything you do to it show through it and still have an interesting card to look at if you don't add much to it.

Supplies used:
Vellum
Dry embossing pen 
a thick foam pad
Ruler
Button brads
White Cardstock
Stamps
Embossing powder
stamp ink pads
paper trimmer
             I use a gel pen that has lost it's purpose and use it for dry embossing thin lines. I used this pen also when I need to score a fold line.
Typically when I need to fold my vellum I will score it first to avoid the paper from cracking. Cracking will be very noticeable on vellum and can be distracting from the true aspects of the card.

            This vellum is cut to be a standard size card of 4 1/4" x 5 1/2", which of course can be achieved by cutting an 8 1/2" x 11 sheet of paper in half at 5 1/2 " and then fold that paper in half.
 with this card I plotted out some embossing lines and then stamped and image on the from with some Color Box Pedal Point blue ink. Typically when stamping on vellum you will notice that the surface is not as absorbent so inks will stay wet longer. This is a great way to stamp an image in what ever color you would like and then use clear embossing powder to enhance the stamped image as well as not have to wait for any ink to dry. It's like having multiple embossing powders on hand.
   I wanted my stampped image to stand out more so I chose to put some white cardstock behind it. To attach the cardstock I used button brads. which I pierced through both the vellum and the white cardstock. on the inside of the card I stamped the word "Congratulations".

ALTERNATIVE ROUTE -there is an alternative way of attaching the white cardstock, have the brads but not have the metal legs show on the inside of the card. I could have pierced the vellum with the bead and folded down the leg, trimming or folding them some more where the legs would not show from the front of the card. Next I could have attached the cardstock to the brads' legs buy using glue dots. so from the  front you would never see the gule holding the card on and on the inside you would never see the brad legs showing.


There is no video for this card and there could be in the future if there are enough requests for one. Leave a comment if you would like to see a tutorial for this card.

Thanks for Hanging out over here see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment